Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tomato Mango Zucch-etti Sauce



This is a very versatile recipe. It can be used as a sauce for your zucchini noodles or other veggies as well as a dip, soup, or salad dressing. I ate the left overs as a soup after I finished my zucchini noodles.

And by the way, I just bought several boxes of champagne mangoes and I absolutely love them, so forgive me if I have mangoes in EVERY recipe for a little while! My recipes will be using champagne aka ataulfo mangoes, but any will work. They just aren't as absolutely amazing as champagne...lol, in my opinion that is.

Ingredients:

- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, optional, makes it a little saltier
- 1 champagnge/ataulfo mango
- handful of fresh cilantro, or more to taste.
- 1 large zucchini or 2 small, spiralized or sliced into noodles.*

Directions:

1. Place zucchini noodles in a bowl.

2. Blend tomatoes and celery in blender or food processor until smooth.

3. Add cilantro and mango to blender and pulse until almost smooth. I like it a little chunky.

4. Pour sauce over noodles. Garnish with other vegetables and greens.



*note about making noodles out of zucchini:

- You can use a regular ole vegetable peeler to make wide fettuccine type noodles.
- You can use a julienne vegetable peeler with little teeth to make skinnier noodles:



- Or if you want to invest a little more you can buy a saladacco or spirooli. I have a spirooli (I found it in someone's throw away pile!), but mostly use my julienne vegetable peeler b/c it's smaller and easier clean up.

Spirooli:



Saladacco:



Total Calories: 243 (makes 1 lg 811 size portion, or 2 regular size portions of you add another zucchini) 83/10/7

4 comments:

  1. I ordered a Spirooli several months ago and haven't tried it yet! I want to try this recipe! I'm enjoying your blog--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying Laurie. Spiroolis are so fun! I like them b/c they make looong noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so so good. I'm still adjusting to the taste of celery instead of salt... never was a huge fan of celery but I am making myself adapt, lol, but it definitely is good.

    don't know if you're still around here...but do you know are onions and garlic (fresh, of course) considered OK on the 80/10/10???...I'm rather new to it...and I did add a clove of garlic and half of a chopped green onion.

    I know dried spices are obviously not okay nor is salt, etc. but I was curious about stuff like garlic and onions...

    thanks :) your blog has been a lifesaver with my new transition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there tweedle. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now. I've been very busy and travelling.

    If you haven't found out yet, garlic and onions are not part of the 811 diet. Here's an explanation of why http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/junk-foods-garlic-and-onions/

    Hope that helps if you haven't found your answer...hopefully I'll be able to get back on here regularly for now and answer questions more promptly!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete